Sunday, November 11, 2012

Broke - Part 1

Job 1:1 - "In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil."



This past Sunday, my husband preached the first sermon in the series "Broke - What is Nothing Worth?" In this series, he is leading an in depth study of the book of Job. Job's story is one of brokenness, faithfulness, perseverance, and restoration. His story is an example of God's providence and favor.

His story begins with a meeting between satan and God. Satan complained to God that he had been wondering to and fro looking for someone to tempt and ultimately destroy - what he does best. God confidently answered, "Have you ever considered my servant Job? There's no one else on earth like him. He loves me and obeys me." (paraphrase) Satan retorts to the Lord that the only reason Job stays faithful to God is because of all that God has blessed him with. The deceiver further states that if God were to take away all Job's blessings, he would turn his back on God. The Lord says, "Go ahead, then, all his possessions are in your power. Take them if you want, but you cannot lay a finger on him." (paraphrase)

Satan does this very thing. Job was a very wealthy and prosperous man. God had richly blessed him with livestock, children, and good health. Within a day, Satan took Job's livestock, servants, and children, leaving Job in utter shock.

I want to pause at this point in the story to ask, "What would I do in this situation?" How would I react if I lost all I hold dear in a matter of moments? Would I get angry at God for not intervening? We may have never gone through a circumstance quite like Job's, but many times throughout our lives, we are faced with situations that cause us to make a choice of allegiance. Maybe the unthinkable happens, and we are left in deep despair. Maybe we suffer a loss so shocking and hurtful, we're not sure how we'll go on.

"Consider my servant Job..." This is the statement God told satan at their initial meeting, and it's the statement that will hold true throughout time for all of us. Job's reaction to his sufferings was weird, unexpected, and powerful. He not only didn't get angry at God and curse him - he worshipped him immediately upon learning of his losses! In our fleshly minds this makes no sense whatsoever. How can you worship in a time like that?

The answer to that question lies in your perspective. There are two types of people in Christianity and in the secular world. There are those whose lives revolve around themselves, and there are those whose lives revolve around God. When we take into perspective that sometimes God allows, not causes, certain things into our lives for our eventual good and His glory, it makes more sense as to why Job would worship through the trial. God's hand will never leave those that follow Him. Even in the trials, we have a Creator who loves us and walks with us. However, His plan and purpose is far above ours. His plan is for our good, not our demise. (Jeremiah 29:11)

I was both convicted and encouraged after this message. It left me looking at my own life during times when I haven't understood why I was going through the things I was going through. Sometimes, we go through things, not because we have sinned or because of our character, but because it is part of a grander plan. I hope to never have to go through the things Job went through, but I do hope to have the same amount of confidence from my Father as he had toward Job. He knew Job would keep the faith. He knew Job would not give up. He knew Job would still love him.

Sometimes being "broke" doesn't mean your empty. In fact, like in the case of Job, it can mean your quite rich.

1 comment: